Thursday, September 1, 2011

"It's For A Good Cause"


Almost exactly one year ago, my Grandma Gilbert passed away from Brain Cancer. This was not Grandma's first, or second, bout with cancer. Just a few years ago she was diagnosed with a very fast growing form of Breast Cancer. After a lot of treatment, she beat that round! (Go Grandma!) Unfortunately due to the incredibly strong doses of chemo, she lost her GORGEOUS hair!

Well, I am pretty much a "Bingham" through and through, I really don't have much "Gilbert" in me- but one thing I did get from my Grandma Joy is my hair... and man am I thankful! I pray my hair stays as gorgeous as hers did!

Anyway, when she lost all of her hair with Breast Cancer, I had really short hair. I decided with the massive amounts of thick hair I have, I should quit being selfish and grow it out and donate it. Well- it was a process! I think I grew it out for 2.5 years? I can't remember for sure. But one day my niece Erika came to me and said, "I want to grow my hair out and then give it to people who don't have hair." So Erika and I made a deal- as soon as her hair was long enough to donate- we'd do it together!

Well- the dreaded (or should I say blessed) day came! Just a few days before my parents left, Erika and I headed down to Stacy's to chop of our Locks for Locks of Love!

Erika cut off about 8"- I cut off 15+"....


So here are some "before" pics....



(This photo was taken the night before....)



Erika & I showing off our long locks


Chop Chop!!!

Erika went first! I wanted to make sure she'd go through with it before I cut ALL of my hair off!



And then it was my turn.
My hair was WAY too thick so Stacy had to divide it into 2 sections... and it was still bending her scissors!! That's when you know you have WAY too much hair- and that's post-baby!
Stacy even let Erika help cut!

My hair takes a very long time to do because of how much texturing Stacy has to do- so Jen took Erika back to Mom's house while I finished up... So I don't have an "after" picture- but here is a pic from the next night with my fam at the Temple...

A little different right?

I hope somebody (or 2 somebodies since my hair will make two wigs) are happy with the long locks they just got from Locks of Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment