Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Precious Time


So when my cousin got married in September, my mom took a bunch of pictures of me with my grandparents.... I never thought I'd be as grateful for those photos as I am now.




You see, a couple weeks ago my grandma went over to my aunt's house with what appeared to be stroke symptoms (droopy face, no movement on half of her body, etc.). From what I understand, the symptoms continued to get worse and so last Wednesday my aunt to her to a doctor's appointment. Little did we know that appointment forever changed our lives.

That one appointment turned into a whole day and night of appointments, ending in being hospitalized with severe diabetes. The bad thing is, the diabetes was the least of our concerns.

Grandma was diagnosed with two inoperable brain tumors, one of which is the size of an orange.... hence the stroke symptoms. After a week full of lots of tears, fears, and a million questions, we finally have some answers.

Unfortunately they aren't good ones.

Grandma and Grandpa have decided that they want to go ahead and do radiation on the tumor to see if it would shrink and allow her some more time with us. The doctors have given us a very grim diagnosis, four to six months at the most.


This is one of those times that I am incredibly grateful for modern medicine. This is not Grandma's first bout with cancer, and I am so grateful she has survived through all the other times she has had it so we could have time to grow close. It's really hard, sad, and scary to realize that we only have a few short months with her, but I am so grateful for this time that I can learn all that I can from her, that I can do all I can to help her, love her, and make her comfortable.

I am also so grateful that I have a loving, supporting husband who is willing to carry me into bed when I am crying so hard to walk, who will just lay there and hold my hand knowing that nothing either of us say will make the situation better, and who is a worthy priesthood holder who can give me a blessing of comfort when I need it. This trial is just that, a trial. But I am so grateful for my amazing husband who is supporting me through it!


No comments:

Post a Comment